When I first received this camera I was excited but skeptical. In the past I have used the GoPro Hero 2 and the GoPro Hero 3 Black Edition. Both of those cameras had to be returned for repair. The Hero 2 had horrible sound quality which ruined the camera for me and the Hero 3 wouldn’t stop freezing. Memories of these cameras were flooding my thoughts when I started to test out the Contour Roam2. (I currently purchased the Hero 3+ and it works great) The Contour Roam2 worked great out of the box; it does everything it says it will do perfectly. So I started to play around with it everywhere I went. I took it to the zoo with my kids and we had a lot of fun playing around with the seagulls.
Then I took it out on one of my camping trips. What better way to test the Contour Roam2 in its elements than to take it camping. I used it while canoeing, fishing and swimming.
I am now starting to really fall in love with this little camera; it is shooting great video for me and is nice and light weight. The only downfall is the further you get from the camera the worse the picture quality is and you don’t have to get too far to notice. Also if there isn’t perfect weather conditions it doesn’t have good picture quality. Here are some specs:
- 170° Wide Angle Lens
- Custom Six Element Glass
- 270° Rotation
- All video settings can be managed with the Contour Desktop Software.
- Full HD – 1920 x 1080 @ 30/25fps
- Tall HD – 1280 x 960 @ 30/25fps
- Action HD – 1280 x 720 @ 60/50 or 30/25fps
- Codec H.264/AAC Filetype – MP4
- 5MP Still Photo Sensor
- Photo Mode: Every 1, 3, 5, 10, 30, or 60 seconds
- AAC Audio Compression
- Internal Mic
- 3.5 hour battery life
- Instant-On Record Switch eliminates stand-by mode maximizing battery life.
- Note: Battery is built in and not removable
So far everything I have tried to do with this camera it has been up to the task. It is outstanding. There are a couple of things that would be considered negatives such as;
- Inability to switch modes without being connected to pc
- Difficult to use without mounts
- No view screen for playback
- No external mic
- No app
For me these negatives a fairly minor considering the quality of the camera. Here is a list of my favorite features;
- High definition video quality
- Great internal mic
- 207 rotating lens
- Laser alignment
- Pocket size
- Lockable record button